What should you do when your default browser page is replaced by Dozensearch.com browser virus? What is the main feature of this virus? How to completely remove it from the infected browser once being infected? You can find all the answers of the above question in this post.
What is Dozensearch.com
Dozensearch.com is considered to be a hazardous redirect virus that secretly enters target computer and starts its attack silently. Such redirect controls the infected system and stop regular programs from running effectively. It assists remote hackers connect to the target computer by virtue of blocking Firewall and security tool, so hackers can take the chance to record credit card number, bank account login information and other information. Once inside, it acts on its malicious purpose as changing browser settings and replacing search results into ad-supported sites with pop ups, links, banners, coupons and other unwanted offers. In order for you to remove thisDozensearch.com redirect, you can follow the removal steps.
Traits of Dozensearch.com
1.It can eat up your system resources and slow down your system loading and running speed.
2.It can change your browser settings and force you to visit unwanted sites so as to spy on your online activities.
3.It can help other computer threats to enter your computer as Trojan, Ransomware.
4.It can keep an eye on your computer and gather your search key words for advantage.
Ways Dozensearch.com Invades Your PC
This redirect threat is capable of utilizing variety channels to sneak into target computer. Most of time, it is bundled with free download as freeware and shareware, and the video players or programs in particular. Under the situation that you scan the installation process too fast and do not check the bundles, you can easily install some unrelated items. Also, redirect virus can be delivered through attaching on the spam email and hiding in the third party downloads.
Guides to Remove Dozensearch.com
Note: the manual removal is not safe enough for inexperienced computer users who do not have any computer skills and removal practices. To these users, we recommend to download auto-fix tool.
If you still want to try manual removal, do follow the steps one by one. Do be careful when you are removing system files and registry.
Step 1 : Uninstall Program from Windows Control Panel
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7:
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Windows 8 :
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on ‘Uninstall a program’ under Programs area.
3.Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Now, try to look and remove items with the following names: Dozensearch.com
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of Dozensearch.com or any relevant software.
Step 2 : Remove the Dozensearch.com Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Search Providers on left side of the window.
4. Choose your desired search box and click Set as default on lower right corner of the window.
Note: you cannot remove a search provider currently set to default.
5. Then, to remove Dozensearch.com from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If ‘Dozensearch.com’ is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Dozensearch.com.
6. You may now close the current window and remain Internet Explorer browser open.
7. Navigate to Tools > Internet Options. It opens up a configuration box of IE. Make sure that you are in General tab.
8. On Home Page area, replace the entry if it currently set to Dozensearch.com.
Type a line of your preferred web address to which your browser will open. This will be your default home page address.
9. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the Dozensearch.com extension. If it does not exist, find related items. Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. While still on Firefox browser, go to the Google search located on top of the browser. Notice that the Google logo has small arrow icon pointing down. Click on the arrow to reveal all installed search engines. Click on Manage Search Engines.
7. On Manage Search Engine List box, you can now remove unwanted entries that are related to Dozensearch.com. Click OK to save the settings.
8. Press OK to close the current window. We still need to do some modifications on Firefox settings so let the browser remains open.
9. Back at the Firefox browser, navigate to top menu and click on Tools > Options. It will display the configuration window of Firefox.
At this point, it should open on the first tab, which is General.
10. If Dozensearch.com have changed your default home page, you can input preferred URL to be your new setting.
Simply type the complete web address in the box that is labeled Home Page. Please refer to attached image.
11. Click OK to save the current settings. Please remain in the browser; we still need to perform the final process.
12. In the address bar, type about:config.
Next, click on ‘I’ll be careful, I promise!’ if it displays a warning “This might void your warranty!”
13. Type Dozensearch.com in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by Dozensearch.com. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If ‘Dozensearch.com’ is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Dozensearch.com.
14.You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench icon on top. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by Dozensearch.com. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant Dozensearch.com extensions like Dozensearch.com.
5. Next, you need to reset the default home page of Google Chrome and remove Dozensearch.com tab during start-up. To do this, click on Settings on left side panel.
6. Go to the area ‘On startup’ and select ‘Open a specific page or set of pages’.
Click on Set pages link to remove unwanted home page entry and set your preferred default web address.
7. To remove Dozensearch.com from the list, simply hover your mouse to the web address and click X on right most of the entry.
8. Type your desired home page address on the field ‘Enter Url…’ and press Enter on your keyboard.
9. Click OK to save the settings and you may now restart Google Chrome.
Ways to Stop Infections
Download resources from official sites or trustworthy web pages.
Use anti-virus program to protect your computer.
Do not open unfamiliar emails as well as keeping away from infected email attachments.
Do scan the small print once you are installing something.
Tick out the bundles by rejecting unwanted bundles listed on the boxes.
Generally, users may wander how does those malicious software or programs sneak onto their computer and attack browsers. Actually, most redirect virus result from third party downloads made by users which help redirect virus get onto the system invisibly. Thus, you need to stay away from suspicious sites and never click on those unknown links. Furthermore, a effective and trustworthy security program can help you avoid being attacked by such threat and safeguard your computer completely.
Download SpyHunter to stop virus attacks
SpyHunter is a professional and effective security tool which aims at removing dangerous virus, detecting potential threats, cleaning insecure traces, stopping malicious downloads, backing up crucial data and uninstalling potential unwanted programs.